Here at WIRED, we like Sonos speakers. We actually do. Throughout the previous years, we’ve examined all of the business’s wirelessly connectable speakers, from its little rack speakers to its television soundbars, and we’ve advised each of them. Turning your house into a Sonos-powered shrine to sound isn’t low-cost. Like Apple items, Sonos speakers cost a premium, beginning at $100 for a standard bookshelf speaker. Which ones should you purchase? Keep reading for our suggestions.
Updated October 2021: We’ve included the Sonos Roam Bluetooth speaker and Beam (Gen 2) Soundbar and upgraded prices and merchants.
Special deal for Gear readers: Get a 1-Year Subscription to WIRED for $5 ($25 off) This consists of endless access to WIRED.com and our print publication (if you ‘d like). Memberships assist money the work we do every day.
If you purchase something utilizing links in our stories, we might make a commission. This assists support our journalism. Learn more
Best Overall Sonos Speaker
The Sonos One ( 8/10, WIRED Recommends) is almost the tiniest Sonos speaker, however it loads enough zest to fill most spaces, and its hands-free Alexa and Google Assistant combination makes it a lot more flexible. Alexa and Google voice commands work like typical (though you should select in between them). It can play music, inform you the weather condition, discover a dish, and respond to easy concerns, like any of our other preferred wise speakers It likewise deals with Siri through AirPlay 2.
We advise other Sonos speakers in this guide, however you likewise can’t fail by simply getting more Sonos Ones to fill your home. They’re far more budget friendly than other Sonos speakers, and their little size suggests you can conceal them in nearly any space.
A Mic-Free Alternative: The Sonos One SL is $199 at Sonos. It’s almost similar to the One however does not have microphones, so you can just manage it from your phone or the touch buttons on it (and you do not need to stress over somebody eavesdroping to your house). The SL is likewise an excellent way to include more satellite speakers to your house. And if you desire a speaker that can truly belt it out, the Sonos Five ($549) sounds wonderful and is mic-less.
Best Speakers to Fill Out a Room
If you wish to network a couple of speakers together for a bigger space, or linked spaces, this is the most affordable method to do it. Sonos teamed up with Ikea on this bookshelf speaker, which is why it’s more budget friendly and a little less beautiful than the others in this guide. (It’s been some time considering that a Sonos speaker had physical buttons.) Looks aside, it sounds nearly as great as a Sonos One. You can install it best to your wall or stand it upright on a bookshelf or table.
It does not straight take audio commands, due to the fact that it has no mic, so you’ll require a Sonos One, Google speaker, or Alexa speaker that you can chew out if you wish to manage it with your voice. Aside from that, it does whatever you ‘d desire a Sonos to do.
There’s a Lamp Speaker, Too: Sonos and Ikea likewise introduced a brand-new variation of their special table light for $179 There is a white variation, black variation, and a$169 variation with a fabric light shade It uses improved noise and is more adjustable this time around, with swappable tones. The very first design, which you can check out in our double evaluation, sounded terrific. We have high expect the brand-new variation. If wall art is more your design, Ikea provides the Symfonisk Picture Frame with an integrated Sonos Wi-Fi speaker for $200 We have not evaluated these brand-new designs.
Best Portable Speaker With Bluetooth
The Sonos Roam ( 9/10, WIRED Recommends) is the business’s tiniest and most portable speaker. With integrated Bluetooth connection (it’s one of our preferred Bluetooth speakers), you can quickly toss it into a lug bag and play music on the go. Utilizing the Sonos app, offered for Android and iPhone, you likewise have the capability to stream from significant services like Spotify, Apple Music (with assistance for AirPlay 2), Tidal, and more. And you can manage the speaker by means of voice commands utilizing Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
It might not use audiophile-approved noise for its stature, however it’s still relatively excellent. The dual-driver system, subwoofer, and tweeter operate in tandem to offer a vibrant bass and clear highs– with no distortion when the volume is cranked up. And with as much as 10 hours of listening, it’ll last you a complete beach day– and after that some.
Another Bluetooth Alternative: The Sonos Move expenses $399( 8/10, WIRED Recommends) and is a larger portable speaker with much better noise. It loads Bluetooth connection, 11 hours of battery life, and onboard microphones that adjust its noise to the environment, plus it’s waterproof. Can’t choose in between the Roam and Move? You can purchase both of them for $578 at Sonos
Best Sonos Soundbar (for Most)
We’re in the procedure of checking the current Sonos Beam (Gen 2). The initial Beam ( 8/10, WIRED Recommends) provides outstanding noise and has a streamlined style; we’re relatively positive the next version will live up to our expectations.
As far as upgrades go, Beam (Gen 2) has a quicker processor, assistance for Dolby Atmos (with suitable TVs and streaming apps) for improved noise, and an HDMI eARC port for greater meaning audio. Just like the previous variation, it has hands-free Alexa along with Google Assistant, and it deals with Airplay 2. You can combine it with a Sonos Sub (a costly subwoofer) and 2 other Sonos speakers for surround.
Sonos fine-tuned the style, including a polycarbonate grille to the front rather of a material cover as seen on the Beam (Gen 1). That’s expected to make it simpler to mix in with your interior decoration. It’s $50 more than the previous design, which isn’t that a lot more costly than the currently costly soundbar, however you can still buy the first-generation design for $319 at Sonos For non-Sonos options, read our Best Soundbars guide
Save Up for the Subwoofer: Sonos hasn’t yet launched a more cost effective subwoofer for the Beam (Gen 2). The basic Sub will cost you$749 at Sonos or Target It’s exceptional, however pricey. Do not trouble purchasing surround speakers till you own a Sub. It will make an extensive distinction.
Best for Big Home Theaters
A soundbar can make all the distinction in a house theater, and they cost a lot less than a complete surround-sound setup. The Sonos Beam is terrific for apartment or condos, however if you desire an actually effective soundbar, the Sonos Arc ( 9/10, WIRED Recommends) is the one. It has complete Dolby Atmos assistance, and in lots of spaces it can bounce sound off your walls and ceiling all right that it seems like you have a surround setup.
With 3 tweeters and 8 mid-woofers, it provides deep bass and has more balance and depth than the Beam. It’s likewise a lot longer, extending 45 inches, or about the width of a 55- inch television. Its style is stylish and downplayed in the typical Sonos method– you will not constantly see the bar, however when you do, it’s not an eyesore at all.
If you prepare to invest the additional money to purchase the Arc, we extremely suggest you get the Sonos Sub for $749 at Sonos or Target It’s the second-best financial investment you can make to enhance your house theater experience.
Best Sonos Surround Sound Setup
To allow surround noise with one of its soundbars, Sonos needs 2 rear speakers, one for the left and one for the. You can utilize any 2 Sonos speakers, as long as they’re similar. I’ve utilized 2 huge Sonos Five speakers in the past, however it’s overkill. 2 Sonos One SL speakers are a much better match. They sound simply as excellent. You can conserve another $100 if you purchase 2 Sonos/Ikea Symfonisk speakers, which likewise sound impressive.
This is among the most convenient cordless surround-sound systems to establish. Just put the speakers you select to the left and right of your sofa, then open the Sonos app, include a surround speaker, and follow the guidelines while the software application does the rest. They do not include as much advantage as you receive from a Beam and Sub combination, however if you see a great deal of films and wish to hear things like TIE fighters flying over your head in Star Wars, you’ll like the additional surround.
For Better Surround: If your space and budget plan are big, the Sonos Arc Surround package costs $2,046 at Sonos It’s one of the best-sounding setups you can own.
Sonos has some devices. The business has actually dealt with Sanus on stands previously, and it offers a rack and means its smaller sized speakers.
- Sonos Shelf for $60 at Target or Sonos: This rack is reversible, so you can position a Sonos One or One SL on the left or. It has an indent so the speaker fits right in, and it conceals the cable and directs it through the bottom. Make certain to take a look at the Sonos/Ikea Symfonisk bookshelf speaker prior to you purchase. It’s more cost effective and can hook right to the wall and serve as a rack itself.
- 2 Sonos Floor Stands for $250 at Target: The main Sonos stands are a great alternative if you prepare to utilize a set of Sonos One or One SL speakers for surround noise however do not have appropriate shelving near your sofa.
- 2 Sanus Floor Stands for $110 at Amazon( Sonos for $100) or wall installs for $60: These stands are an inexpensive alternative if you prepare to utilize a set of Sonos One or One SL speakers for surround noise however do not have sufficient shelving. The wall installs are likewise subtler, if that’s something you’re searching for.
- Longer (or Shorter) Power Cables at Sonos: Depending on your power outlet circumstance, you might require a longer cable.
- Other Accessories at Sonos: Sonos offers a range of specific niche devices that might assist, depending upon your setup.
What’s WIRED About Sonos Speakers
After flooding my house with every Sonos design you can purchase (and filling all staying area with packages of stated speakers), then utilizing them for a number of years, I (Jeffrey) pertained to value their audio fidelity and capability to effortlessly network together. Here are my preferred elements of Sonos:
- Simple Setup: The Sonos app guides you through the procedure of beginning a brand-new system or including speakers to an existing one. There isn’t another speaker system that lets you string together several speakers as quickly or link them to stream in various spaces of your house while keeping the audio completely in sync. The closest thing might be Google Assistant speakers, and Sonos links to that system.
- Easy Streaming: The Sonos app supports nearly every streaming service out there, and lots of apps, like Spotify, let you stream to Sonos speakers within them. The Sonos environment can likewise manage home-theater applications and can support a complete surround-sound setup.
- All Major Voice Assistants: Unlike many “clever” speakers, Sonos speakers will link to any among the huge 3 voice assistants: Amazon’s Alexa, Google Assistant, or Siri by means of Apple Airplay 2. You need to pick one assistant at a time, however they’re mainly totally practical, with the exception of some phone-call performance through Alexa and playing white sound through Google.
- They Sound Fantastic: Sonos speakers are all premium and provide constant, attractive noise. It’s simple to argue that Sonos hardware is too pricey, however it’s tough to fault their noise. Not every Sonos speaker is the very same, however they have a stylish synergy and noise that no other speaker system appears to have. If you have a couple of speakers in a space, it’s difficult to inform where the noise is originating from. The crystal-clear music engulfs you.
- Spotify Voice Controls: Spotify can be accessed utilizing Alexa or Google Assistant voice control on the Sonos One and Sonos Beam. If you have among these speakers, you can set Spotify as your default music service. When you ask Alexa or Google Assistant to play something, it plays it straight from Spotify. (You can set any offered music service as your default: Amazon, YouTube Music, and so on.)
What’s TIRED About Sonos Speakers
As incredible as Sonos speakers sound and as flawlessly as they link together, they have some constraints, both in application and innovation. We do not believe these are dealbreakers (yet), however you might.
- You Must Use the Sonos App (primarily): Sonos has actually done an exceptional task upgrading its speakers with brand-new functions through its app, however the app is still the just method to listen to some sources of music. Sonos is gradually releasing services from its app, enabling you to straight relay to any speaker within the regular Spotify, Tidal, Audible, and Pandora apps. For others, you’re stuck utilizing the Sonos app, which operates fine however isn’t perfect.
- You Might Need Two Apps: If you have Sonos speakers that are 10- plus years of ages, you might need to utilize a different app to manage them This may be aggravating, though we need to keep in mind that practically no other business making internet-connected gadgets supports tradition items for as long as Sonos
More Great WIRED Stories
- The newest on tech, science, and more: Get our newsletters!
- Greg LeMond and the remarkable candy-colored dream bike
- Bring on the fist bumps– tech conferences are back
- How to alter your web internet browser in Windows 11
- Is it ok to torture NPCs in computer game?
- The power grid isn’t prepared for the sustainable transformation
- Explore AI like never ever prior to with our brand-new database
- WIRED Games: Get the most recent ideas, evaluations, and more
- Upgrade your work video game with our Gear group’s preferred laptop computers, keyboards, typing options, and noise-canceling earphones